The Light on the Lake

Assessor’s Department

The assessor is a local government official who estimates the value of real property within a city, town, or village's boundaries. This value is converted into an assessment, which is one component in the computation of real property tax bills.

The assessor performs many other administrative functions, such as inspecting new construction and major improvements to existing structures. This ensures that the record of each property's physical inventory is current and that the appropriate improvements are assessed.

The assessor also approves and keeps track of property tax exemptions. Among the most common are the senior citizen, School Tax Relief (STAR), veterans, agricultural and business exemptions.

The Town Assessor's office can provide you with information you may need regarding property located within the Town.

Grievance day in the Town of Evans is the 4th Tuesday of May, appointments recommended.

Click below for the Veterans Exemption Form

Click below for the Veterans Exemption Form
 RP-458 Application for Veterans Exemption
 Application is due to the Assessor's Office by March 1st.
DD214 Must be submitted with the application

Assessable Home Improvements (cont'd from Assessor's Home Page)

Assesssments may decrease if old outbuildings, garages, etc. are torn down. Notify your assessor if this occurs.

Before beginning any improvement, consult with the town code enforcement officer at (716) 549-5753.

Assessors do not determine taxes. The level of property taxation is determined by the municipality itself. Similarly, the Assessors do not decide who is entitled to relief on their property tax bills through exemptions, rather they follow New York State Law.

Assessment Challenges (cont'd from Assessor's Home Page)

If you don't agree with your assessment, there are several steps to take:

Reasearch  - Research sales of similar type properties within your neighborhood. Compare similar houses, (i.e. compare ranches to ranches, colonials to colonials), square footage, or looking at aa recent appraisal of the property (within the last 3 years) is helpful.

Mid-May - You may file a RP 524 form and schedule a hearing or non-hearing on Grievance Day (4th Tuesday in May each year). You may contact the Assessor's Office in mid-May for a form, or download the form here.